New Mexico State Set Plays
Below are two set plays from New Mexico State. These plays were originally featured on FastModelSports.com.
New Mexico State used this play early in the first half against Kansas. The play resulted with a foul on Kansas, but the Aggies are showing quality actions to get open post-ups and shots. The play starts with the point guard dribbling to the right as if he is going to use the ball-screen from 4. Instead, 4 slips the screen to the opposite block. 1 uses the ball-screen from 5 and looks for 4 posting up inside. If 4 isn’t open, 1 looks to pass to 2 cutting up off of a down screen from 5.
- 1 dribbles to the right as if he is going to use the ball-screen from 4.4 slips the screen and instead 1 uses the ball-screen from 5.
- After 1 clears the screen, 5 sets a down screen for 2 in the corner.1 looks to pass to 4 inside posting up or pass to 2 for a shot.
Box Pinch Post
New Mexico State is staying in the game by being patient on offense and waiting for open shots. In this box set play, the guards start at the elbows with 2 screening down for 4. 5 and 3 then screen the screener with a double screen on the opposite block. Now the point guard has the option to hit 2 for a shot on the wing or pass to 4 at the pinch post. In the game, 4 got the ball and looked to drive to the basket after 1 cut through the lane.
- 2 sets a down screen for 4.
- After setting the screen, 2 cuts to the wing off of a double screen from 3 and 5.1 looks to pass to 2 for a shot or pass to 4 at the pinch post.
- Once 4 has the ball, 1 fakes as if he is going around 4 for a hand-off but instead cuts through the lane looking for a quick pass from 4.If 1 isn’t open, he clears out to the corner.
- 4 looks to take his man to the basket from the elbow.3 clears out to the perimeter.