Shaka Smart Texas High Ball-Screen Plays by Wes Kosel
Here are a few high ball-screen plays used by Coach Shaka Smart in the game against Vanderbilt. Smart likes to get his quick, crafty guards into high ball-screen situations to spread the floor and put pressure on the defense. The guards look to create a shot off the dribble or pass to set shooters on the perimeter. Conner Lammert has had a good season so far living off of penetrate and kick opportunities as well as roll/replace 3-point shots.
Coach Smart used this play against Vandy early in the game. 1 dribbles to the left as 3 sets a cross-screen for 5. 2 runs the baseline. 5 sprints up from the cross-screen to set a high ball-screen for 1. 5 rolls and 4 replaces 5.
- 1 dribbles to the left as 2 runs the baseline and 3 sets a cross-screen for 5.
- 3 clears to the corner.
5 sprints from the cross-screen to set a high ball-screen for 1.
4 replaces 5.
4 sets a drag-screen for 1 and pops for a shot. If it isn’t there, 1 dribbles to the right wing and looks to pass to 3. If he passes to 3, 5 sets the ball-screen for him. If 1 keeps it, 5 sets the ball-screen for 1.
- 4 sets a drag-screen for 1 then pops to the wing.
- 1 dribbles right as 3 moves up to the wing.
Instead of passing to 3, 1 gets a ball-screen from 5.
5 rolls to the basket.
Weave High Roll/Replace
1 gives the ball to 2 on a dribble hand-off and 4 moves down to the block. 2 dribbles to the middle to give the ball to 3. Once 3 has it, 1 sprints to the top of the key and gets a pass from 3. 5 follows to set a high ball-screen for 1.
- 1 gives the ball to 2 on a dribble hand-off and 4 moves down to the block.
- 2 dribbles over to the left and gives the ball to 3.
1 moves down to the block near 5 and 4 to the corner.
- Once 3 has the ball, he dribbles right and 1 sprints to the top of the key and gets the ball from 3.
- 5 follows and sets a high ball-screen for 1.